Thursday, 14 July 2011

What's Your Knitting Yarn?

I started knitting when I was just 11 yrs old. It looked like a map with dropped stitches and added stitches. Disaster! My Grandma, Betsy, taught me to crochet when I was 7 yrs old.

I didn't then knit again until I was 21yrs old. Then at Uni I decided to knit a mohair sweater with the help of the girls in my Halls of Residence. The mohair got everywhere. Even places I'd never been! (Most incriminating!)

Over the years I started projects on my own only to lose my way and abandon them to the loft.
Then I met a great friend, Sally, who'd been knitting since she was 7yrs old and at the same time a new weekly magazine came out:
The Art of Knitting. I was hooked!

I have now successfully completed several knitting and crochet projects.


I have also enjoyed the Art of Crochet.



So what's your knitting yarn?
Do you crochet?


6 comments:

Stephanie V said...

When you're hooked on knitting then there's no hope for you. It's there for life...welcome to the club. Have you joined ravelry yet? Lots of inspiration there for knit or crochet.
I did a lot of crochet work at one time but not so much anymore. It's hard to keep up with too many projects.

Madeleine Sara said...

Hi Stephanie, Yes my Ravelry login is Woolmaniac. Congrats on being my 1st follower (the other is my other avatar):O)

Deniz Bevan said...

Well, I can make a crochet chain... I was taught to knit by my mother and grandmother and they're right handed so I learned that way (which is great, cos it makes pattern reading so easy). But I picked up crochet with my left hand and my mom doesn't known how to crochet and my grandmother's not a very good teacher. Someday I'll take some classes!

Karen said...

I crochet. My mom has tried to teach me to knit - I am not a good student! This past year, I got stubborn and 'taught' myself to knit. I can do a basic knit. Increasing and decreasing frustrate me - but I think I am getting better.
I am hoping to find someone near to me to get some pointers on doing more complicated pattersn.
Karen

Ria said...

Oh cool! You're on Ravelry!! I'm tonyfan4ever.

I use all different yarns depending on the project. My favorites are handdyed sock/fingering weight, and single plyed worsted like Malabrigo and Manos.

I knit mostly but crochet when the project calls for it.

Madeleine said...

Deniz Sounds like you've picked up some good skills, though I suspect you'd need a left handed crochet teacher.