Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Intuitive Knitting ~Yarn Along


What are you currently knitting/reading. Why not Yarn Along


Do you knit intuitively or are you anxious about making mistakes and wait to be told?




Being a largely self-taught, intuitive knitter has its plus and minus points.



It means I can tackle harder projects than some inexperienced knitters



BUT it means that others think I have more experience than I do


AND I can make some amazingly naive mistakes when it comes to interpreting what the abbreviations mean.


In this Owl Pattern by Kate Davies the SSK (slip, slip knit)abbreviation is used. This is explained as: Slip 2 stitches indivdually knitwise, insert left needle tip into stitches from left to right, knit together. Left slanting decrease.


Now that all sounds fine until I had a go and was left with the bizarrest set of stitches on the next round. Heaven knows what I did.



So, I checked youtube and there was this handy video clip of what I needed to do:



I am amazed how quickly this jumper is knitting up. I guess because it uses 6mm needles and Aran weight (Fisherman's/medium weight) yarn.



Oops just realised I shudda changed to 6.5mm needles after the rib. Aaaaaaargh! Okay should I be worried now?










This book is excellent for helping with those areas of knitting which others understand and the patterns often assume such as press the garment, pick up stitches etc.

So how are your abbreviation interpreting skills, or were you taught well?


7 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm a self-taught knitter too. I use Youtube for all my new stitches since all the books I have give the instructions for right handers [I'm a leftie]. I only run into big problems with sock patterns, but I finally get it figured out.xx

Jess said...

I so admire self-taught knitters.
I tried to teach myself for 12 years before I finally took a class. I had to see someone knitting before I could understand what was going on...

Stephanie V said...

You could forget about the needle change. It will mean your sweater will be a bit smaller everywhere. Or, you could rip back to the ribbing and change your needles. Depends on how critical size is.
You've knit a lot - you might not want to take it out.
So, try knitting up a swatch with the 6.5 and see what the difference in stitch count is. A little easy math will tell you if the sweater will be OK - or not.

suzy said...

Thank heavens for those youtube tutes :)
I use them all the time!
I think you'll be alright if you change to 6.5 mm now. Just make sure you do the otherside the same :)

Faeryfay said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! I love U-tube for showing me how to do new stitches!
Your jumper is going really well! Looks lovely!

Madeleine said...

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. Yes Stepahnie I did rip it back to the rib and use the 6.5mm needles, but it doesn't look any different than the 6mm at the moment. I had bought the circular needles especially for this project so felt I ought to use them. I'm finding it hard choosing the correct size for this jumper as the stated sizes seem smaller than they say when knitted up. It's all good experience/practice.
Thanks again.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I don't knit at all. I probably would give it a try, but I have no one nearby to help me along in the process. I taught myself to crochet -- but it's taken me years to actually be able to produce anything worthy of photographing or showing-off.